Wednesday, November 28, 2012

IMAZ


Well, it's been over a week post Ironman Arizona, and it sucks just as much now as it did the day after.

I swam ok, 55:0x, and had a good transition.  Onto the bike, and I was feeling pretty good.  Good legs, riding w/ another pro and near goal race wattage.  But then I got greedy.  With 70 Pro men, it's hard to stay controlled, and not "go for it"....I rode the middle section of the 3 loop bike course way too fast, for the fitness/level I was at.  And I paid pretty big for it.  I was really fading on that 3rd loop, including getting passed by the guys I had dropped earlier in the ride.

It's a tough balance between focusing on your best possible race, and realizing that "yes, it is a race, and it's my job to be as close to the front as I can"... The bad patches that are a part of Ironman....in previous races, I've managed, dealt with them.  Maybe the pace lagged, maybe I sat up a bit, but I got through them.  This race, I attacked the bad patches.  When things would get tough, the legs would burn, I'd downshift and just ride harder.  That seems great in theory, but I don't think it did my run any favors.

Additionally, I was expecting a cool, overcast day, based on the previous days, and the weather report for Sunday.  While it wasn't extraordinarily hot or windy for AZ, it was clear, sunny, and stale, and I was definitely feeling a dry mouth, and some early cramping I hoped would subside.

Off the bike 4:38 (24.1mph), and when I saw the overall race clock at 5:35, I figured there was no way I wasn't going to go 8:30 and take that next jump in Ironman racing.  I was so confident in my run, so sure I was going to run well, it didn't even occur to me that I could really mess up my race on the bike.  I had run so well in training, and was so sure that I would run fast, I think I was overconfident.

Confidence in yourself is good, but sometimes it tips into the way of thinking more about the outcome, and less about the process.  I ignored signs that maybe I needed to relax, focus on nutrition, etc... instead I was just 100% focused on that time/placing goal.

That attitude came into play on the run as well.  Like I said, I was so confident in the run, even though I was feeling some cramps, and some weak legs, I just assumed they'd come around. So when the pace was over 7:00 miles, I was kinda freaked.  Instead of just going with it, and hoping they'd come around, I forced the pace down to what my goal pace was.  Now that's not really flying for me, esp, early in the run, but I was running as hard as I could. And after 3 or 4 more miles, my body just had enough. A pretty sharp pain in my right calf was causing me to limp, and then cramping to both quads, and I couldn't even walk.  It was pretty ridiculous, though I tried multiple times to keep going, I was just done.

So that's how the season ends. It's extremely disappointing.  I had a solid season, and was reminded of that.  But it's tough to end on a sour note.  I guess the big advantage is I am extremely motivated for the winter, to improve, and come back stronger, fitter, and faster than ever.

Big thanks for all the support I received this race and this season and going forward.  My sponsors,  Blue Seventy, Rolf Prima, ClubSport Oregon, Oakley, Craft-USA,  Sci-Con bags, Quietly Fierce Media, and of course my team at Athletes Lounge.  I appreciate the support so much, and look forward to continuing to support you guys, hopefully as much as you support me.

My coach Cliff English, my nutrition/body comp guru Jesse Kropelnicki, and my training partner/wattage and pace analyst, Chris Bagg.  You guys really helped so much this year, teaching me things I should have probably figured out by now.  I appreciate the help.

To my great homestays Steve and Brandon, you guys are great, and it made the whole weekend so easy and enjoyable with all your support.

My family, my boys,  my wife Sarah who is doing her 1st Marathon this January, now it's time for her to be the athlete.  Thank you so much for your love and support, and alllowing me to keep trying to figure this crazy sport out.

That's it for now, I'll take a little down time, then right back into training for next season.  Race schedule still a little up in the air, but I love this distance, and can't wait to race again.

"Maturity is a big part of success in fighting, because it means you understand the game-that losing is part of the game.  It doesn't mean to let yourself get conquered, but to know that you can win again, at the right time you can be great. The key to doing well in competition is to accept"  -Ricardo Liborio

1 comment:

  1. Great read as always. You always impress me doing what you do as father of two. Keep it up you and your AL team are an inspiration.

    Krieg Kjer

    ReplyDelete