Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Subaru Vancouver 1/2 2nd Overall-3:54:53

 
"Mental toughness is learned. It's not a skill that everyone has, or is born with. There are people that are born tougher than others mentally, or figure things out earlier in their life. But if you have motivation you can acquire mental toughness, it's just about what your body gets used to putting up with"  -Greg Jackson



  
     I find it's tougher to write a race report when you have a good race than a bad one.  When you struggle, it's easy to relate, easy to see what the problems were,etc...You just put it out there and just be honest.  But when you do something well, it feels like anything you write is either boasting, or false modesty, or making a race into a bigger deal than it really is.  

     The reality is, I had a solid race, and a really good run.  One that I felt I was capable of, but one that I haven't actually done in a race.  Terenzo Bozzone (World Champion, Athletes Lounge sponsored athlete) was in Portland for the last 2 weeks, and we had a good training block.  But honestly, what workouts can you do in a week and 1/2 that changes you as an athlete?  Not much, but it was a great chance to see where I was, see how my training was going relative to one of the best guys in the sport.  And it was very positive.  Terenzo is the better athlete, and we had stud runner Jared Bassett to keep the paces sharp, but I was a lot closer than I ever have been training with him.  And, probably most importantly, it just felt like solid training.  I wasn't training outside of myself. There's definitely a focus and quality when you train w/ the really good guys, for sure.  But I wasn't going home wrecked, it was a sustainable effort.

     It's probably the best triathlon running shape I've ever been in.  But without actually doing it in a race, you start to question, "can I really run fast in a 70.3?"  I told Terenzo I wanted to run 1:16, and he just flatly said "you should run much faster than that! You're in better shape than that...Come on, back yourself!"  And he's right, maybe I was just putting a limiter on myself.  

    So anyway, I was originally scheduled to race Muncie 70.3 this weekend, but things were getting very hectic here in Portland.  Athletes Lounge 1st training race/work/family etc... and the travel was just getting very tough to handle (a super early flight, Saturday race,no homestay or hotel near the race....) I know it sounds like excuses, but sometimes reality gets in the way.  

    So with the option to race a solid 1/2 Ironman (with a prize purse) in Vancouver, on Sunday, with a race organization I really like, It was really a pretty easy decision.  I felt fit, strong, and that I had too many excuses for a poor race in Muncie.  I wasn't looking for an excuse not to perform, I was looking for the opportunity to express my fitness.  So no excuses.

    Race day, w/ some solid athletes like Andrew Russell, Elliot Holtham, and Nathan Killam, good Canadian guys and they would keep the race honest.  A mass start swim, I'm not used to, and I got beat up early. It was a bit strange, I was really was out of it for most of the swim.

   "Maybe I just don't have it today" - That was actually my thought process, that maybe I was just flat, and not my day.  But I quickly got that out of my system, and got on the bike.  Pretty early, I was able to get my legs going, and move up to 3rd place on the bike, behind Andrew and Elliot, with a young Australian kid on the bike w/ me the whole day....

    So I tried to chase, was making a bit of time on the leaders, but then started to feel the effects and the gap opened later on the bike.  Elliot flatted, which was really unfortunate as he's in very good shape, but I had to focus on my race.  I took my time in transition, and left the Garmin in T2, I just wanted to go out there and RUN.  Forget pacing, forget good/bad, etc...I just wanted a relaxed upper body, a really good turnover, and just go for it. 

    It felt good.  Well, it felt pretty rough, but the good kind, when you're pushing the pace, not just suffering through a bad day.

    3:54:53, 2nd Overall.  Fastest run of the day w/ a 1:11:01 for 20k (the bike was slightly long, the run slightly short).  A 1:11 is a 1:14 equivalent for 13.1miles, which is really where my training has been.  It's a relief to finally run what I was capable of.  But previously, I was running w/ extra weight and less fitness.  Part of it is having a good race on  the day, but most of it is putting yourself in a position to really perform at your best. 

    I've had a lot of race results that include me just pushing through an average day, not feeling great, not terrible, but just staying tough, staying on it.  You hope to have a day where you feel good and can perform, so that all those tough races are worth it. 

    So now I know I'm capable,  but there's bigger races, there's a faster swim/bike, there's so much to improve, to race the big boys in the big races...but this definitely gives me confidence to get off the bike and run w/ those top guys.  Lots of work to be done.  It's crazy to get too proud of yourself for just racing up to your expectations. Trials of miles. Miles of trials....



   Do not think of yourselves more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement
                -Romans 12:3



    Thanks to all my family, my sponsors, my coach Cliff, my business partners and employees.  I really appreciate the opportunity to maintain the dream.  I know that I'm fortunate to have the situation and the support I have.  So thank you, I'll continue to give my best effort.

Athletes Lounge
Blue Seventy
Rolf Prima
Craft USA
ClubSport Oregon
BMC Switzerland
Oakley Northwest
Quietly Fierce Media
Sci-Con Bags

*splits from www.sportstats.ca --

2
Chris BoudreauxPortland, OR, USA
5
3:54:53
M-Elite
2/4
2/255
25:14
2:16:02
1:11:01
1:39
0:58


No comments:

Post a Comment