Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New Orleans 70.3


    Raced New Orleans 70.3 over the weekend.  As most of you know, the swim was cancelled, the bike was shortened, so it wasn't actually a 70.3, but close enough.  Considering the relatively small prize purse, the race was stacked, mostly b/c of a lack of additional pro races this weekend.  Terenzo Bozzone, T.J. Tolakson, Richie Cunningham, Tom Lowe, Michael Lovato, etc...as well as an equally impressive women's field, it was a very solid race.

thanks to Louisiana Running Company for the pics
The race started with a 2 mile run, and I got out well.  I was running in the top 5 for most, and though everyone surged at the end of the run, I was still on the back of the 1st group and right where I hoped I would be.  Not the fastest transition, but good enough, and started riding, trying to stay with the lead pack.  Similar to Oceanside, I just didn't have the legs early.  Surprising, as I hoped the 1st run may have helped that, but whatever.  Had many guys who got to the front (T.J, Damian, Damon, Evoe, Marsh etc...) all behind me starting the bike, and I needed to get with those guys, but just couldn't.  Again, ended up settling for a group that wasn't going fast enough, and while I did a lot of work later to try to catch up, I lost way too much time on a bike that was perfect for me (flat and windy).

A few of the guys who were riding with me got bike penalties, so I started the 13.1 mile run alone.  And that's how I stayed for most of it.  I thought I was running well, but looking at the Garmin, the pace was just slow.  I ran w/ almost a perfect heart rate progression, but it didn't translate to a good run.  Another race in the mid 20 placings, and I would say definitely a worse race than Oceanside.

I know that I have other commitments (Athletes Lounge, family, clinics, etc...).  But when you take a professional license, any excuses go out the window.  I just have to get better, step up to the level I've decided to race at.

The positives:

 I continued to keep "racing" and gave my best effort, even though it was not at all where I wanted/expected to be.  I hope that pays off eventually.

Another race experience, more to learn from.

Got to spend the weekend with my best friend Ryan, who I haven't seen in a long time.



I also saw a different side of New Orleans this trip, something I never really experienced growing up (or in college) when I lived in Louisiana.  I've never really gotten the attraction to the city, but I think I was only ever in the really "touristy" areas (bourbon street), or other, less attractive parts of town.  We ate at some great restaurants, saw some some really cool neighborhoods and areas that I didn't really know.  We went down to the Earth Day festival (which was mostly just N.O. funk, plus beer and food).  It was a cool vibe.  People dancing, just having a great time.  I finally "get" why people from New Orleans love it there.  If you only experience Canal St, the Riverwalk, and the French Quarter, you'll miss it.

The negatives:


I'm not where I want to be fitness wise.  I don't know if it's having other commitments, or lack of effort, or just simply needing a bit more time to get my legs under me, but I'm not competitive at all right now.

I see the improvements of those guys who I was generally competitive with, now winning or getting on the podium at these races.  I'm stagnant.  I'm just too far back.  I need to really step it up in all aspects.  I have great coaching, great training partners, an excellent nutrition coach, awesome sponsors, and great family support.  I have NO EXCUSES.  I love racing, I love training. I really love this sport, and know I can be successful at the professional level.  But I'm not there right now.  I'm learning how to tough it out on the bad days, and make the best of the race as it plays out.  But I don't want to be complacent with being off the back of the pro race, when I know I'm capable of being up there.  It's one thing to be completely out of contention, but when you're there, when you're on the bike w/ guys who make the podium, you have to step up or step down.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up man, you have a lot going for ya. Thanks for the advice you gave me on racing that half down in AZ on the IM course.

    ReplyDelete