Monday, August 29, 2011

Fear and Anger

"Fear and anger are motor inhibitors...You've got to let it all go and do what you love and %#* the rest" -Greg Jackson

The biggest issue for many guys in the sport is long term goals of training and getting slightly better. I know it's hampered my improvement at times, just wanting everything to come together right away. Racing with expectations of "proving yourself", doesn't really do anything (for me, at least). Last year, I had done a good job of just going out and racing, seeing what happens. And I had some good races. But then there was an attitude change. Seeing the positive results, led me back into that "proving" mindset.

The last few races (since Bennett was born), I've just gone out and raced. And had a great time. I think in the past, even just earlier this year, I wouldn't have been satisfied with my results. But I see it as a point in time, right now. It's not an indictment of my potential, or anything else other than just where I am, right now.

The anger part hasn't been a big issue in racing (at least not since I was 21), but this past weekend was a good example of how that can affect you as well. From my previous post (and subsequent complaining to friends and family), I'm even more aware of letting anger affect a positive outcome. I felt I lost 2-3 positions on a questionable call. But I was coming off a pretty good 10k in my last race, and some very quality run workouts between. On the bike, I was excited to run fast, in a positive, attacking mindset. But after the penalty, that changed. I just wanted to finish the race and file a protest. If I would have just run to my ability, I think I could have stayed "in the money", my goal in the race.

It's a common theme you see in guys who consistently perform well. They get upset, they get bad calls, but they can compartmentalize it, save it for later, and just deal with the task at hand. It's another lesson, and I look forward to learning from it, as well as racing again.

Racing is fun, racing is why I'm still in the sport. Why make it something it's not?


"the key to doing well in competition is to accept. Accept you can lose, you can not perform. Take this big bag of rocks out of your backpack, take the pressure off, and you'll do better. Once you understand that, man, you can do well" - Ricardo Libori0


No comments:

Post a Comment